Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Diary of a Wimpy Kid part 1


           As you get older, do you ever reflect on what elementary, middle, or high school were like? I reflect on my old school days all the time, especially now that I am going into teaching. Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney, brought back memories of when I was in middle school, and not all of them were that great. Okay, the truth is that I have been trying to forget about my memories of middle school (not my fondest memories).

            In the book Greg Heffley wanted to be popular, so he thought that if he wrote in his “journal” (his mom bought him a diary) about his life in middle school, he could be famous. Don’t we all want to be popular or famous when we are young (oh how life changes). I remember just wanting to get through middle school without any trouble. Greg thought that being popular was the best way to get all the girls. Greg also thought that being the best at wrestling would make him popular. The problem Greg with that idea is that he did not have any muscle. At least he was participating in activities at school.

         Greg has two brothers and a best friend that sometimes embarrass him. Such a typical life situation. I think siblings were made to embarrass each other, I know I can come up with a thousand stories of my brother embarrassing me. The thing that I noticed was that Greg was the one people should have been embarrassed of because he had not filter when he said or did things. Greg did not think before he acted, and I think most people can relate to that.

        As someone who has been through middle school, I can make a connection to the book. But elementary students have not been to middle school, so how would they know middle school is a stupid idea? Elementary students can relate to a friend or siblings embarrassing them because it happens to the best of us. When you can relate to a book, I think it makes it more personal and fun. I can see this book being something students love and get a kick out of it. But there is one think that should be at the beginning of the book, and that would be a warning for parents or teachers when they have a student or child reading this book. Why should there be a warning you may ask, well I can see students trying some of the same things Greg did, like throw a football at people or finding food on the play ground and play "cheese finger". I would defiantly let my students read this book because it just makes you smile.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, that if used in an elementary school classroom it may be a good idea to warn the parents of the content. Maybe the teacher could write a letter home letting the parents know that the book discusses bullying and peer pressure faced by many teenagers to fit in. The teacher could then have extra copies available for parents to check out. There could be another book option available for parents not comfortable with these topics. If that situation arose, this book could be used in small groups where different groups read different books. The students with parental approval could then be assigned Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your evaluation of the book so far. I think that you are right in that middle school a time many people want to forget. I also agree with you that there are some aspects of the book that elementary students will be able to relate to there are others that they will not. I also agree with you that the teacher should have a discussion with students about the behavior in the book and why those behaviors may not be appropriate.

    ReplyDelete