Sunday, September 11, 2016

How to Steal a Dog Part 1


We all go through tough times and some people face tougher times than others. But would those tough times lead you to do something you never thought you would? Do kids do things that they believe was for the best, but wasn’t? Does someone wanting to do good, but is actually bad, make the bad thing okay? Well these are all questions that I would ask my students while the read How to Steal a Dog by Barbara Connor.

     I have never been in a situation like Georgina and her family were placed in. Georgina, her mother, and brother lived in their car after their dad left and their mom could no longer pay for rent. This situation made Georgina feel like she did not belong at school and embarrassed. I would feel just like Georgina. Nothing makes you feel less adequate then not having the latest toy or feeling left out.

    It is hard to think that there are students that will be facing the same problems that Georgina has. Georgina was so desperate to do something to help her family that she ended up stealing a dog. To some people. They may see this just see this as a bad situation, but to Georgina she was desperate to help her family. Did Georgina do something bad? Yes. Did Georgina have good intentions in mind when she stole the dog? Yes.

    The problem I have with this book is that there may be students that are in situations like Georgina. It would be a good idea that teachers know students background, and know the home situation because you do not want to put students in a tough situation or feel embarrassed while reading this book.

     What I do like about this book, is that it has heart, and makes you go through different emotions. As I was reading this book, I was sad, confused, mad, and many more emotions. I think that teachers can use this book as a way to explain to students that there are people that cannot afford everything, and that stealing is bad.
Image result for Black and White Dogs Funny

2 comments:

  1. I didn't think about remembering what the background of your student's is but I can definitely see it's importance! I went through all of the same emotions but it mostly made me sad thinking about kids who are in the same sort of situation. What do you think you would do for a student who you knew was homeless or had a tough home life? How much could you do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about what would happen if I read this in a class with homeless students, too. Part of me thinks that they could respond positively, if Georgina's story makes them feel a little more valued. The story might also make their peers more sensitive. On the other hand, I can see it drawing attention to the student in a negative way. I wonder if there's any amount of discussion that could prevent that. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete