Monday, September 26, 2016

The BFG part 1


     Oh how I love this book it gives so many great lessons for kids. This book is sweet and engaging, not only for me, but could be for students. Form the title of the book you know that the big friendly giant was going to be friendly, but when he showed up to take Sophie, I thought maybe he was mean. That idea of figuring out what might happen in the book based off of the title is a good exercise for students.

    I liked the relationship between the BFG and Sophie, they talked about themselves and the conflicts they have encountered. It is a true best friend relationship, well at least after Sophie realized that the BFG was not going to eat her.

      One thing I noticed right away was the language that was used. On page 28 the author writes, “make the giant cross.” I know that the language is different because the book is based in England and the author is from there as well. I think the language or word choice needs to be explained to students. The teacher can also use this as a way to introduce geography and culture to the class. I also think that the way the giant talks needs to be addressed or even use it as a launching point to talk about people learning English and how it can be difficult. The BFG explains his language the best on page 53, he states, “Words, he said, is oh such a twitch-tickling problem to me all my life. So you must simply try to be patient and stop squibbling. As I am telling you before, I know exactly what words I am wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around.”

     Another thing I loved, is the author’s use of words to draw up images. The author uses great imagery on page 33, “The sun was up now and shining fiery-hot over the great yellow wasteland with its blue rocks and dead trees.” Doesn’t that put just a great image in your mind. Also, a great way to show students that they can put this style and images into their writing.

     There is so much I love about this book. I love the funky words because they are funny and remind me of Dr.Seuss. I love that the BFG captures dreams and gives them to kids, and that the dreams the author describes are descriptive. I love the BFG’s big heart.   

      The BFG also has some great lessons that he teaches Sophie. One that I like is on pg. 48 where he says, “Just because we happen not to have actually seen something with our own two little winkles, we think it is not existing.” Such a great line and I think that you can use this sentence for a great lesson on imagination and write something great.

3 comments:

  1. I can tell I watch a lot of vlogs from people in England because I didn't even think twice about the different language! But I think that would be so fun to teach kids about different phrases and saying used in other countries! Like biscuits and crisps! I adored the imagery and depth in this book as well. It definitely reminded me of Dr. Seuss like you said! Ah Carly you brought up so many good points! I love that last quote and lesson about not seeing things and believing that they're not there...such a good one. This book is full of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I knew The BFG had become a movie, but in the craziness of the summer I did not realize it came out THIS summer! Their imagery is so similar to how I imagine the world of Giants as I have been reading the book. I also like the conversations that The BFG and Sophie have. They are so genuine with each other and almost banter back and forth like they have known each other for many years.
    I agree the language is so confusing at some points just because it's made up, but I think it'd be nice to have a Word Wall that every word we ran across we could write on the wall, maybe take some and define them into our language and notice similarities. I love this book too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not even think about analyzing the title! That is a great idea, students could learn about making predictions based off of the title and looking at the cover picture. Students could then change their predictions as the story developed.

    Carly, what specifically would you want your students to write about in regards to imagination based off of the quote from page 48?

    ReplyDelete