Sunday, October 23, 2016

The Wednesday Wars







     Wednesday Wars. There are so many things I thought of when I read this title. I thought that there was going to be a war between schools or teachers. I did not expect the type of experiences and stories that I am getting when reading this book.


      Wednesday Wars is about a middle school boy named Holling Hoodhood. I know weird name and they have not really said what the meaning of the name is or even if there is a meaning. But Holling is a Presbyterian, so he does not get to leave school for church on Wednesday. He gets stuck staying with his teacher that he believes is out to get him. She even makes him read Shakespeare.  To me that does not sound fun at all, but Holling is really into it. At first Holling is against read the book, but he has to because his father is trying to get a contract to build a building for Holling’s teachers family. I should probably tell you the teachers name, her name is Mrs. Baker. Even though Holling believes that Mrs. Baker is mean and is out to get him, the truth is she is really nice and wants the best for her students.

Image result for rats



Image result for wednesday warsThere are some great stories that Holling tells, like the time the rats got lose and him and Mrs. Baker had to stand on the desk. There was also the time where Holling was clapping out some chalk board erasers and the chalk floated in to the classroom and got all over the pastries. I think my favorite one was Holling getting in to a Shakespeare play and playing a fairy. Holling wanted nothing to do with the play after he got the part of the fairy, but did it because he needed money for pastries for his class. These stories make you smile because so many things go wrong for Holling, but even though Holling thinks that Mrs. Baker is out to get him, she is the one that helps him out the most.


I do not know a lot about the Vietnam war, so even for me it would be great to talk about or look up. I would use the fact that the Vietnam war was talked about to turn it into a chance to talk about a part of history. I would turn it into a teaching point about how certain people were treated. In the book, there is a little girl named Mai Thi, she is not treated very well by one of the cooks. When all the other students got hot chocolate, Mai Thi did not get any because she is from Vietnam. This would be a good time to talk about how we can make others feel like outcast just by small things that we do. You could have one student picked out (make sure to talk to that student beforehand and tell them what you are going to do) and not give them something, and see what the other students say or do. Is there a student that does something or says something about that student not getting what everyone else has? I guess you could talk about Shakespeare, but for elementary students it might be hard to understand the books they are reading in the Wednesday Wars. Image result for vietnam war
The interesting thing about this book is that there are so many different things that deal with parts of history. At first I did not know when this book took place, but then they started talking about the Vietnam war.  

I think that this book is interesting. At first I was not very into the book, but as it went a long I have seen the little important pieces of this book. You get caught up with the characters. I want to know more about Mrs. Baker, I want to find out what happens next to Holling. I think that some students many not be into this book and some it may take a while to get into, but it is a good read (so far).

4 comments:

  1. The author does use some great descriptive language especially with the story about the rats escaping...I thought that whole scene was pretty funny. I really like that idea of testing the students and seeing what they would do if one of their classmates was left out...such a good experiment! You could also tie in other historical moments of people being treated differently to show how it has been a continuous problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm starting to become hopeful that this book turns out to be better than the first couple chapters. I really enjoy how they bring up the Vietnam War, I too started to research different aspects that the author started to talk about. How would you incorporate Shakespeare into younger elementary curriculum? I feel like I knew about Shakespeare when I was younger, but I have no clue how it was introduced to me. I remember a Romeo and Juliet cartoon.
    Anyways, I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this book and seeing how you like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your description of the adventures of Holling made me realize how similar Holling is to Greg from Diary of a Wimpy Kid. They both long for acceptance and go through crazy stunts to try to find it. They both have wild imaginations and are truly middle school boys.

    I agree that this book could tie into a brief history lesson. At what graded do you think we could begin teaching about the Vietnam War?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The characters are really what kept me reading. I wanted to know more about their lives and what would happen next. I liked that the Vietnam War was brought up because it is a topic that is not often discussed and is a topic that is worth covering in the classroom. I like the idea of making it a lesson on inclusion and the impact our words and actions have on others.

    ReplyDelete